Friday, September 5, 2008

Tall Fences Make Good Neighbors

Our friends at Wikipedia tell us that unlike many other groups that emerged within Christianity, the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers, has tended away from creeds, and away from a hierarchical structure.

Well, there's certainly a hierarchical structure around their cemetery in the middle of Prospect Park. I suppose one has to protect one's self from our stupid fucking local teen pseudo-thugs. Barbed wire though? Zowee. Don't be like that, baby. I thought we were Friends. 

Actually, I'm kidding. I really do have respect for their wishes. If someone doesn't want you on their  property, I think you should stay the fuck out. If the Quakers prefer we not be stomping all over their graves, I think that's awesome. I mean we do have the nation's #1 funereal tourist attraction right down the street - Greenwood Land.

However, the Quakers have allowed us a mini-tour, revealed in short peeks and mosquito bites along the fences and gates. And there is a path. So, I have to think that a little fence action is okey-doke with the Quakers. Why is their cemetery right smack in the middle of the Park? It's really the simplest answer possible - It was already there, so Olmstead and Vaux simply built the park around it. Enjoy the tour! You can click on any of the pics to enbiggen them.



From the Horse Pen and the South end of the Ball Fields, follow the bridal path down to the corner of the chain link fence,  just into the woods alongside West Drive. The fence is the South(ish) boundry of the cemetery, and a rather nice little path will follow it. Fair warning - You'll have to do a little dodging and bushwhacking, and you'll be bit by a thousand fucking mosquitoes. Still a nice walk though. Are we smilin'?



There are a few neat views through the fence, shaded and filtered through trees along the first part of the path. However, fear not, and trust the Quakers - there's a nice view of a small section of the cemetery further along. By nature, there's not a lot to see here, but my view is that it is nice to see a simple, well-tended cemetery, especially one that has been in existence for so long.  


Not too too many curiosities, but I did come across a few. What's this old vault or stone pit along the fence? Clearly, it's been there for a very long time. Maybe an old dry well? Notice along side of it - there's a piece of an old monument or a broken stone finial. I decided it had probably been tossed over the fence. The Quaker markers are very simple, and it doesn't look like something you'd find in there. 


In a covered clearing near the corner of the cemetery, I found another curiosity - and I find these odd structures all over the park. It's an odd little lean-to made out of fallen wood. It looks like some sort of shelter. (I suppose if you tossed something over the frame, it actually would be some sort of shelter.) There was recently one of these also near the BBQ area to the left, just in from The Marquis at 9th Street. They're always built on a fallen tree. Curious.

As you turn the corner, following the fence to the left, you'll come to the cemetery's main entrance. Not much in the way of signage, but I guess there wouldn't be in this case. You'll see the much fabled "private property" sign on the left through the gate, but other than that, you'll have to content yourself with the beautiful view.

You know what I really wanna see? The fenced-off area between the cemetery's Northeast border and Fallkill Falls. Maybe someday. 

-Parker

1 comment:

amarilla said...

The Quakers opened the cemetery for some kind of tour early in the summer, I think. I understand there was a line to get in, with good reason, because there were live individuals telling the stories of those interred under the stones. The presenters may even have been in character as the dead Quakers. I hope they do that again, I missed it.